Friday, July 9, 2010

Homemade Pita Chips

About a week ago, Jonathan and I had a date planned. We had a babysitter coming over around naptime, and then we would be headed out to have some fun on the town, eat some supper at a local B'ham restaurant, grab some dessert, and head home. Well, much to our dismay, our babysitter wasn't able to make it, due to some unforeseen circumstances...BUMMER! Instead we stayed at the house, made some pizza, and then took the kids out for ice cream. Not the same as an afternoon by ourselves, but we still had fun. I say all of this to say that while we were out, we stopped by this neat little Mediterranean restaurant called Dodiyós. Not to eat mind you. We'd already done that. Now you ask, why would you go into a restaurant if you weren't going to eat anything? Well, at this nifty place, they had a little market in the back! This is where we found some awesome pita chips! They were the best chips I'd ever put in my mouth! Seriously! The only drawback...price. Thus began my search for a recipe, for I knew these wouldn't be recurring in our household too often unless they were homemade! Using the pita chips from Dodiyós as a guide, I found a recipe and made some changes. With no further ado, here it is.

Preheat oven to 400°

Ingredients:
-Pita bread
-Extra-virgin olive oil
-1 teaspoon garlic salt
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-1/2 teaspoon dried basil
-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

Take your pita bread (I only used three pieces, since that's all that would fit on my baking pans at one time) and one piece at a time cut them along the outside edge to make two separate circles. Then cut each one of these circles into eight pie pieces. Repeat for each pita until you get the amount that you want. Grease your baking pans with olive oil. I use the spray. If you don't have this, you can just pour a little bit of olive oil onto the pans and spread it around with a paper towel. Now lay your triangle pieces with the part of the pita that was inside facing up. Pour some olive oil into a bowl and brush the tops of the pita with it. I then combined the garlic salt, black pepper, basil, and oregano in a little bowl and stirred them around really well. I used my fingers and sprinkled the mixture onto the top of each triangle. Now place them in the oven for about 5 minutes or until they're lightly brown and crispy. Keep and eye on them. They tend to burn easily! Enjoy your wonderfully good homemade pita chips! They'd go great with some homemade hummus!

No comments:

Post a Comment